What to do in case of an emergency in Málaga

Published April 24 2023

We understand you want to be prepared for every possible scenario, so don’t worry! Here is everything that you need to know in case of any emergency.


In case your child gets sick

  • If you have a European Health Card, you can access public hospitals and get medical attention for free. If you don’t, there are some private options and the cost for a doctor visit can go from 20€ to 50€ depending on the clinic. If you want the doctor to go to your accommodation, the option is possible but the price is higher.
  • If it is something minor, you can head to the nearest pharmacy. They will most likely speak English. Be careful and don’t go to a “Parafarmacia” as this is an herbal pharmacy, what you are looking for is a “Farmacia”.
  • If you don’t have any transport to head to the hospital, you can call an ambulance (the number is 112). They have English translators available.


For private hospitals, two good options are HM Málaga Hospital and UR Hospital Angel. For public, any option is good, you have Hospital Regional Universitario de Málaga, Hospital Universitario Virgen de la Victoria, Hospital Civil, etc.


Things you should know:

  • Make sure to keep the receipts for any medical cost you incur including prescriptions, taxis and medical bills. You may be able to claim everything back through your travel insurance.
  • If you go to a hospital, take with you your passport, insurance details and credit cards.
  • Consulates are always available over the phone for any additional advice you may need.


What do I do if my kid has a tooth-related emergency? 

There are many private dentist clinics all around the city. Vitaldent or Clínica Dental La Victoria are two good ones with a nice service. The first consultation is usually free of charge. Some public hospitals also cover teeth-related emergencies, but not all. In case of a toothache, private clinics are the safest choice.


Police reports in Málaga

In case you have something stolen or you need to report any type of crime, you can do so over the phone in English. Have your passport prepared as they may ask for it, they will also need a reference number from you. You have 72 hours to go to any police station and report the robbery (or any other crime).


Important Emergency numbers

  • 112 is the Spanish emergency number for any type of emergency, ambulance service as well.
  • 952 14 11 33 is the number of HM Málaga Hospital.
  • 952 04 50 00 is the number of UR Hospital Angel.

Last updated: 21st of April, 2023.